1. A professor is a person who talks in someone’s sleep.
2. A country manager is someone who is paid to tell you how their country is different.
3. No company is an island.
4. Markets always change faster than marketing.
5. Don’t advertise your brand, live it.
6. Consumers buy holes, not drills.
7. If you went out of business, would anyone miss you.
8. The only job of marketing is to establish a difference between my brand and the competitor’s brand, on an attribute that is important to the customer.
9. Be the change you want to create - Gandhi.
10. Customers who complain are the company’s best friends.
11. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing - Helen Keller.
12. Incrementalism is innovation’s worst enemy - Nicholas Negroponte.
13. Every act of creation is first of all an act of destruction - Pablo Picasso.
14. History is a record of “effects”, the vast majority of which nobody intended to create - Joseph Schumpeter.
15. I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been - Wayne Gretzky
16. If you get them (Customers) on price, you lose them on price.
17. Here the success of everything depends on intuition, the capacities of seeing things in a way which afterwards proves to be true, even though it cannot be established at the moment, and of grasping the essentials fact, discarding the unessential, even though one can give no account of the principles by which it is done - Joseph Schumpeter.
18. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution - Albert Einstein.
19. If there is a spark of genius in the leadership function at all, it must lie in this transcending ability….to assemble - out of all variety of images, signal, forecasts and alternatives - a dearly articulated vision of the future that is at once simple, easily understood, clearly desirable, and energizing - Bennis and Nanus Leaders.
20. Over at AT&T, people are afraid to make mistakes. At MCI, people are afraid not to make mistakes - Jeffrey Kagan.
21. Creative thinking may simply mean the realization there’s no particular virtue in doing things the way they have always been done - Rudolph Flesch.
22. There are three rules of writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are - Somerset Maugham.
23. There are always two parties, the party of the past and the party of the future; the establishment and the movement - Ralph Waldo Emerson.
24. It is not always easy to get away from tradition. That is why all our new operations are always directed by men who have no previous knowledge of the subject and therefore have not had the chance to get on really familiar terms with the impossible - Henry Ford.
25. Radical new distribution channels always change the nature of the product they are distributing - Peter Drucker.
26. It is not the strongest species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change - Charles Darwin.
27. [Marketing] is the whole business seen from the point of view of its final result, that is, from the customer’s point of view. The customer… determines what a business is … [and] is the foundation of a business - Peter Drucker.
28. The purpose of a business is to create and keep a customer - Ted Levitt.
29. The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes - Marcel Proust.
30. The only reason God was able to create the Universe in six days was because he didn't have to worry about an installed base - Enzo Torresi.
31. I don't know who discovered water but I know it wasn't the fish - Marshall McLuhan.
32. Let us keep all the cannibals in the family.
33. Capitalism without failure is like religion without sin - Dr. Allan Meltzer.
34. A brand is a promise that must be kept.
35. In the factory we manufacture cosmetics,in the store we sell hope - Charles Revson.
36. There are no commodities, only yet to be differentiated products.
37. Everything you know is wrong - U2.